Monday, October 13, 2008

Now I'm Overwhelmed

Well, I wanted work and now I'm feeling a little stressed. It's not really the internship but my research paper I have to do for another class and all of my online classes I am taking overload you with busy work.

Okay now that I have vented...I have been working on my press release for Choosy Kids lately and I am having a hard time putting it together for some reason. Usually I can just whip something up, but this release has to be great! I have never really written for anybody except my teachers and I think I'm just nervous. All I need is a draft right now so that's good. I interviewed Trev, vice president of Choosy kids, and got a lot of useful information. As of right now I have mini paragraphs that I'd like to use for the release, but I haven't put them in any order. I'm just so scattered for some reason. I've never written in scattered paragraphs before, but I'm starting to realize that it can be helpful. I've also written out an outline to try to help me focus my thoughts and it is helping a little. After I am done writing up my draft, Erin said she'd look over it for me and help me perfect it! I also had a question for anybody that reads this entry. Am I expected to work on these projects outside of work? I feel like I should and that he might expect that, but I have so much other work for school that I don't have time. Do you think he'll understand that? And he didn't give me a deadline, but I'd like to finish it today or tomorrow.

Away from Choosy Kids for a little while...Erin and I were asked if we would like to edit proposals by Dr. Gautem from the research department. I think we mentioned this. Well, I heard back from a Dr. Winnabeth Smith, who is a cancer researcher I believe. I thought we were going to be given stuff right away, because that's how Dr. Gautem made it sound, but I guess our names are just going to be put on a list of services offered for those who may need it. I guess we just have to wait and see if anybody calls!

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Sorry you're so overwhelmed; I had a week like that last week. It was like everything decided to be due on the same two days. I also understand your nervousness about writing a real press release, rather than something just for class. I had that experience last week. I'm applying for a job and had to write a cover letter. I was stressing out and had nothing to say, which is unusual, but then I realized it's because, wow, this actually matters. I won't get the job if my cover letter is horrible. I think after you write this one, though, all the others will be easier.

I don't know what to say about if you should be working outside of work or not. It's not really an issue at my internship. Maybe when you get an assignment ask for a rough idea of when it's due; that way you can plan whether or not you need to spend extra time. Hopefully, though, they realize you're a student with other things to do.

Unknown said...

Interesting strategy for drafting your mini-paragraphs--that way you can be sure that you pin down the specific topics you want to discuss before concerning yourself with how to arrange it.

One thing that I'll suggest that you spell out in specific terms as you continue working on the press release: who is your audience, and what is your purpose for writing? Be able to answer these questions can help you to make some key decisions about how to arrange your material. Of course, most press releases begin with a paragraph chock-filled with specific details about the event or topic (who what where when why), but you'll also need to think about a "hook" that gets your readers emotionally or intellectually engaged with the topic.

Finally, on your question about the work -- you certainly can and should be using your "work time" for these types of projects rather than feeling as if you have to complete them at home.