Maria shows that she is a reflective learner by reviewing her work and the comments that others left on it and seeing what she did well and what she can improve on. By writing down her thoughts on the assignment and what her next step may be, she is helping herself move forward with the writing process; she is learning how to write better.
•I tend to write best at night. That’s when I concentrate best and have the most ideas flowing.
•I do not have any particular place that I fell best studying at, it all just depends on what mood I’m in. Sometimes I can work at a library, but sometimes I get distracted by all the people coming in and out. Sometimes I can work at home unless I don’t feel like doing certain assignments then I get distracted and clean.
•I prefer to have nothing around me when I’m writing. I like a clean area with just my paper and pen. You don’t really need anything else to write, they’re just distractions.
•I guess my preferences say that I like to focus on what I am writing and that is it. If there is anything around to distract me or I’m not “in the zone” then it will not be my best work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Samantha, I ended up transcribing those big papers for Ed DeCosta after you left today. He told me to get rid of them after I was finished and I put them in the recycling bin below my desk. Now, he asked me to do another thing with them... but I won't be there tomorrow! Can you do me a favor and get them out of the bin and just sit them on my desk? That would be woooooonderful if you could! Thanks, Erin p.s. We should exchange emails. Mine is elong4@mix.wvu.edu
Now that's teamwork -- I hope that Samantha got Erin's message in time! In terms of your description of reflective writing . . . one topic that might interesting to explore through the course of the semester would be how you learn to understand and/or negotiate the aims of the writing projects you work on with clients. Maria's writing project responded to a prompt given by a teacher, of course, but she also had lots of freedom in terms of the directions in which she wanted to take her argument. You, on the other hand, will be writing for a particular organization that has specific needs and specific purposes for a particular document. How do you learn about these purposes, and what do you do if the client's understanding of a particular project (say, the aim of a grant proposal) does not exactly square with the granting agency's definition of the project or your own ideas about how best to pitch the proposal?- Scott Wible
Here is what Scott Wible wrote on my blog about press releases: "You might want to see if the WVU Library has any Public Relations textbooks on its stacks. One particularly useful text is Doug Newsom and Jim Haynes' Public Relations Writing: Form & Style." Hope this helps! --Erin
Post a Comment